I do not like when guests show up uninvited and start eating without an invitation. It's plain rude. I also don't like it when they startle me - if they are uninvited, that means they are unexpected and that's a surprise which very likely will startle me. I have lots of heart palpitations as it is...let's not give it the final palpitation, OK?
But the rudest of all guests comes into your garden, eats your food, startles you not once, but THREE TIMES, then runs off like it's no big deal. "Hate to eat and run, but I really must!"
That's right...this RUDE and UNINVITED guest was a MOUSE. DAMN YOU MOUSE! YOU SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF ME!
I am still shaken up at the thought of it all. (eeeeeekkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Last evening, G and I needed to harvest some cucumbers and check on the rest of the garden after the rain storms. Some of our plants aren't looking so hot and really need some TLC. If you've seen our garden lately, it looks a little like Jurasic Park:
As he was moving the vines around, I thought I saw - MOVEMENT. But, it was dusk, and I wasn't sure, so I said, "DON'T MOVE! I think I saw something moving." Of course, that means beat the shit out of the vines with the bamboo stick. And the mouse came charging out toward him and ran over his feet (AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and under our deck. HOLY SHIT! HO-LY SHIIIIIIT.

I didn't see this of course because when he started beating the vines I took off running toward the back of the garden yelling like the Hounds of the Baskervilles were after me. GOOD LORD HAVE MERCY! I stopped just short of the tomatoes. *whew* We could hear it scrambling around under the deck trying to find a way out opposite of the way it came in. I decided now would be a good time to be a typical woman and took my place atop one of the lawn chairs.
And wouldn't you know it...that was the direction the bugger decided to come racing out of to make his escape! So I screamed and stamped my feet a lot (I'm surprised I didn't fall out of the chair or break it) until the mouse went under Pat's fence. Cactus wasn't outside or I am sure that would have been the mouse's last romp around these parts.
I immediately took my own leave (sprinted) into the house and told G I am never, ever, ever going outside again. He laughed at me and told me I was acting like a stereo-typical woman. Which, I agree, I was. But DAMN! There was a mouse in our garden!!!!! First I get attacked by a blue jay, and now a mouse in the garden.
We found out that one of our squash plants isn't doing so well and the squash are fruiting but then dying. I think this is what our little invader was eating. G and I are going to pull out that plant after we get back from Houston. We may pull up some other plants, too. Next year our garden will be WAY different. I can't live being afraid of my backyard. I am also going to do some deterrent methods (natural repellents and such) to try and keep the mice/mouse/killer rodents out of the garden. Any suggestions? I'd like to hear if you have any.
I am still a little jumpy from the whole experience. I am so afraid that this is only the beginning and that it'll get in the house. I don't worry they'll STAY in the house, not with these three killers I have. Mr. Jingles has already proven he can catch a mouse, no problem. Biscuit is a Siamese and is one tough cookie when it comes to killing. Ask any bug or moving object that crosses her path. And Boudreaux, well, he is the devil. He tries to kill EVERYTHING. I wish I could have let HIM out on the mouse! So I feel safe knowing that they'd catch anything that got in. I just don't want them to put it on the bed or in their water dish like they do their play mice! yikes!
The killers:

Mr. Jingles and Biscuit
Boudreaux
Alright, I need to start another load of laundry...the never ending pile. I don't know how we make so much! It's only two people!


No comments:
Post a Comment