I made lentils (I've never made, nor had, lentils before) with jalapenos and onions.
We bought them from the bulk section at Central Market.
The directions said to soak them overnight, although everything else I read said not to. So, of course, I soaked them. We put two cups of dried lentils into four cups of water and put in fridge overnight. The next day it was 4 cups of lentils! WOW!
Put lentils in pot. Add two cups of water for every one cup of lentils. (I would lessen the water if you pre-soak them. It was way too much water.) Bring to a boil. Boil for 2-3 minutes.
Reduce heat and cool for 10 minutes to 1 hour, or until done. If lentils are fresh, they will cook quickly; if old, they will cook more slowly. Season at end.
Salting during cooking can make lentils tough. We added a few chopped jalapenos from our garden and an organically grown onion we received from Greenling.
Also, salt and black pepper to taste. We omitted the black pepper because I'm allergic.
My next dish was Braised Lamb Shoulder Chops
I changed it up a bit because I didn't have everything they called for and I needed to use up some of my produce.
I omitted: celery, lemon, wine, curry, pepper, coriander, soy sauce, and mint.
I added leeks, crushed garlic, and rosemary from the garden. It was DELICIOUS!!!!
We only had one large chop, so there wasn't much meat in ours, but I am not a big meat eater anyway.
It didn't look very pretty on the plate; sort of pub grub or something. BUT, I would definitely make both of these recipes again. They were easy to make and VERY satisfying. I think these would be great autumn or winter dishes.


1 comment:
Ooh, I love lamb! It always makes me think of that part from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" when Aunt Tula says, "What, you don't eat no meat? Okay, I make lamb." Ha.
Post a Comment