Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Grace (7/365) / Ice / Sushi Update (Photos added)

Grace In Small Things: My battle against embitterment.

1. Pumpkin Spice Lattes with soy (no whip, please)
2. Pink- and black-striped knee highs
3. Finishing my "to do" list for this morning
4. The book of stamps in my wallet
5. My new "Sign and Return" stamps

****************************************************

Now that I feel a little happier about things...let's begin.

There was ice today, but not much. I encountered more ice ON my car than under it. The roads were most excellent but it took me a good 10 minutes to get the ice off my windows and doors. I had to saw through the ice shell with my key so I could even open the door. And then I accidentally popped my trunk open...but it was frozen shut. So I had to get it unstuck so that when it DID thaw out it wouldn't go popping completely open on the freeway....flapping about as I'm driving to work.

Sushi update: it was pretty meh. The rice was underdone (my fault and I figured out my mistake, but only after it was too late to re-do it and I was too hungry to care). The wasabi we bought was "all natural" with no green/yellow/red food dyes - which I am allergic to. And it was very bland. We also bought a tube of prepared wasabi. It was less bland, but still not great. The nori wasn't up to par either. The fillings were good, but we were just missing that certain something... I don't know. I did the rice vinegar on the rice, so....

It looked FABULOUS, though! I'll post pics today when I get home. EDIT: Check em out below! Travis is a super jumbo sushi roller. More like sushi-rritos. His looked really pretty. We plan to do it again, but I think we'll buy some different nori and wasabi. I just don't know where to start. The Asian market on Lamar was where we went. Suggestions???? Brands??? Ideas???

Sushi Ingredients

This is the Broussard Roll in honor of Dusti's Baby

Travis' Jumbo Rolls

My normal-sized rolls

Dinner is served!!!
*************************************************************

We are thinking of moving my sister's baby shower to the second weekend of March. If any of you are potential attendees, let me know if this is NOT a good weekend for you. Or, if you WANT to come, let me know. :) It'll be in Houston at my mother's house. Woo hoo! Beer for everyone! Except Dusti. She's pregnant. JUST KIDDING! (not about being pregnant. she is. i swear.) Let me know if you want to come so I can put you on the invite list and get you an invitation. They are pretty!

Ok, back to the salt mines. Hope you all are having a great day. Stay safe.

No comments: