Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Forced Inspiration

And I'm not talking about breathing here....

The GISD Nurses are in a challenge with other GISD employees to see who has the most participation (percentage-wise) for a health/fitness program. The end result is a 5K. Hmmmm....

Anyone who knows me knows that I DON'T RUN. I have asthma and it makes my lungs clamp down like a vice. I'm a walker...not a runner. A lover...not a fighter. A bookworm...not an athlete.

However, I have always thought it would be awesome if I were a runner. Lots of my friends are. And there are lots of benefits to running when it comes to getting in exercise for the week and changing your body into something more pleasing and healthy...to me at least.

I have been thinking about doing this program. I think it seems like a good way to start. I am also going to OFFICIALLY give up smoking and drinking (well, not totally drinking....but you know what I mean) to help me achieve this goal. I'd like your input on it. Tell me what you think.

I am sure I will not be prepared to run the 5K, but we can walk it...so that's cool. But sometime in the future I'd like to try to run a 5K. I am going to have get clearance with my doctor first, but I am hoping she'll give me some meds or tips on how to avoid having a huge asthma attack while I prepare for this. And to make sure my lupus won't stand in the way. I have aches and pains all the time, but I am hoping by getting into better shape - it'll help with some of that...at least a little.
___________________________________________________________________

Now, for something completely different.

___________________________________________________________________

Today at work was a mess. Nothing bad...just busy. I wasn't so busy the first couple of months of school....even with all the swine flu and whatnot. But these past two weeks have been totally nuts. I can only imagine what it's going to be like when flu season REALLY starts! Maybe we are past the worst of it already...but I doubt it.

Tomorrow I am participating in a Flu Mist clinic to get the people in Georgetown immunized against seasonal flu. I am pretty excited about it. It will be good practice for me as I am opening up an immunization clinic at my school. I have done these before, but not on the level we are going to do tomorrow. AND, since I have no social life to speak of, this gives me an opportunity to really hone my immunization-giving skills. Wish me luck!

We had a Veteran's Day program at school today and some retired and active-duty personnel came to the school to speak to the kids. It was really a neat thing to see and be a part of. Made me very happy and proud and full of American Spirit. (cue the cheesey music)

I have been thinking a lot about Thanksgiving this year. It will be the BIG holiday for our family since most everyone will be here. Christmas will be a smaller event than normal, so Turkey Day is totally ON! I am ready to set up my Christmas tree already. HAHAHA So are a lot of you, I know. I have seen your posts! Don't try to deny it. :)

That's all I have for now. XOXO

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ooohhh.. running is icky. just walk. :) you can do it!! xox mindybelle!