Monday, June 30, 2008

We can't be stopped - Life changes

We seriously need some C.A. - Canners Anonymous. We canned cantaloupe preserves, peach-raspberry jam, and peach syrup tonight - all while listening to Arena Rock, of course. That's the canners music of choice. We bought some blueberries today, too, so who knows what we'll end up doing with those. :)

Aside for Misty: I have some jelly/jam reserved for you! Come and get it!

I am so happy it is raining. My garden is happy. G is happy. My front porch which is pulling away from our house is happy. It's a good thing.

I have some future-goal-related issues I need to resolve pretty soon and I really need some advice. I really am considering a career change - which would mean no grad school in the fall (seriously, I'm not trying to avoid it! I think it's trying to avoid me!) and a possible job change, nay, LIFE CHANGE. I still have no clue what I want to do when I grow up.

When I was little, here's what I wanted to do:
  • Solid Gold Dancer - now 2 herniated discs; show no longer on air
  • Bank Teller - hate 9-5 jobs and don't really want to work at a bank - robberies, etc.
  • Cashier at a grocery store - did this in HS; hate standing all day; don't really like touching money...it's dirty! Day people annoy me.
  • Singer - well, I don't really sing, so I think I can scratch this one off, too
  • Artist - I'm not that great, although I am pretty creative. Am I creative enough to support myself? Who knows! I'm not creative enough to make enough money to pay my car note, school loan, house payment, insurance, etc. so, no to artist for now.
  • School teacher - uh, no.
That was about it. I really don't have any other desires other than to be a housewife or entrepreneur. I mean, I'd like to run my t-shirt company and sell other crafts, art work, paper goods, etc. that I've designed, but I'm just not good enough to financially support myself. I mean, have you seen the caliber of creativity out there???? I'm way under the curve. Check out Etsy! LOVE the creativity of these designers/artists/creators.

Other than being the domestic lovely that I am, I have no desire to do anything else. How unusual. I mean, I WANT to stay home and do those things. I guess I'm changing. Maybe it's hormonal. I might even vacuum the carpet in heels and wear pearls every day like June Cleaver!

So, here's where the advice part comes in...what should I do? REALISTICALLY. Not idealistically. I have already dropped out of grad school, quit my job, and moved across state to make myself happy and get out of a rut. I'm not rash, but I know that I can change things if I want to. I just don't know WHAT I want to do. :( I know that what I'm doing now isn't making me happy, so I need a change and nothing sounds even remotely enticing. I need my very smart friends and family to give me some direction.

3 comments:

Dollface74 said...

I would love to support myself with my craftiness too, but I am not good enough either - YET! (you need to see my new bag- it is so cute!) I think we both just need to win the lottery!

Misty said...

WHOA! I have lots of reading to do. I thought it was making me register to read your blog, but I registered my own blog. Maybe I'll start using it. I don't blog on MS much because there are things I don't want my coworkers and cousin reading...

Misty said...

Okay, so I finally read the whole thing, and I think it's wonderful that the advice dropped right onto your doorstep via the good neighbor. It's impossible for us to give you direction. I can tell you that I once did what I loved for work and realized how fundamentally wrong that was for me personally. Work is work, and it should just be something that is mostly satisfying until you don't have to work anymore. THEN you do what you love. But that's just me.