Monday, February 22, 2010

Getting It Back

My health. Seriously. I have been continually sick this (school) year. I am catching EVERYTHING that comes around. I know part of this is just getting used to new flora at my new school, but I feel I could do better. Strengthen my immune system without medication - or at least no lupus medicine.

There have been several reports/studies that link lupus with celiac disease/gluten intolerance. I have a gliadin intolerance - so basically the same kind of diet needs to be followed. That being said, many of the foods that you can eat on a gluten-free diet I am also allergic to: corn, soy, and oats.

I had a food allergy test a couple of years ago and basically I am allergic to everything. :) G used to joke I was allergic to food...all of it. :) But it's true I am allergic to a lot of things....a lot of good things. I'm not allergic to millet. Millet is gross. Rice is the only other grain I can eat. And I don't like brown rice. But I can eat white rice, I guess. :( Who wants a brown rice and millet salad? Add in some beets, hominy and lima beans and it'd be like dining in HELL! BARF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I think I'm going to go back on my allergy diet and see if I don't get better. This means no more: beer (GASP!!!!), bread (DOUBLE GASP!), chips and salsa, chicken, egg yolks, onions, broccoli, blueberries, cane sugar, mushrooms, etc. I have a HUGE list of things I am not supposed to eat, but these will be the hardest to give up. I have no problem giving up grapefruit, avocado (ok...this will be hard...I cheat a lot w/this one but really pay for it later), codfish (?), goat's milk, dairy, and beans. These all cause me problems or I don't like...so that makes it really easy.

Last time I was on this diet, I didn't lose a single pound. It's really more about avoiding things that I'm allergic to vs. trying to lose weight. But it'd sure be nice if I did! :) Nice to have something to show for all the sacrifice, you know.

I've been up since about 3:30 am with hives. They started Saturday night. Not sure if it's the antibiotics or the mucinex. My guess is antibiotics. Benadryl is helping, but I'll have to call the doctor today and see what can be done. :( :( :(

Graces:
1. working out for one hour yesterday
2. getting most of my laundry done and put away
3. benadryl - thank you
4. a full night's sleep
5. catching up w/old friends
6. my mouth doesn't hurt NEAR as bad as it did last week...whew!
7. my retainer is working like it's supposed to! GO ME!
8. creme brulee coffee creamer
9. Whole Foods and Sprouts
10. I'm not endangered by a sink hole (apparently there's one in Temple!)

I should know tomorrow if my pertussis test came back neg or pos. I am hoping negative. Keep your fingers crossed. I need to get back to work. I have so much to do and being stuck at home isn't getting my work stuff done. :( Plus I love my little school and all mo co-workers. I miss them when I'm not there.

So, it's supposed to SNOW tomorrow? Brrrr......I am supposed to go to the rheumatologist tomorrow in the late afternoon. I am hoping it's not going to be too bad out. This will be my first appointment with the new rheumatologist. Switching insurances and doctors is taxing at best. But I hear she is really good, so that's reassuring.

Well, I guess I'm going to go for now. Maybe I'll try to take a nap! At 6 am. :) Sounds logical to me. Hope you all have a great Monday!!!!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

No chips and salsa!?!

*faints*

Betty O Rocker said...

It's ok. Maybe once a month or so. I need to try to stick to my diet...try... :)